The Alumni Association is excited to introduce a new communications resource:5 Things to Know. These will be points of Virginia Tech pride that we’ll be sharing on a regular basis. See below for our first 5 Things to Know!
1. Virginia Tech has been named No. 1 in two categories in the widely read Princeton Review rankings for 2017. Virginia Tech received the top score for “Best Quality of Life” and “Their Students Love These Colleges” among 381 colleges and universities nationwide.
2. Engineering Professor Marc Edwards was named one of 10 finalists for Time magazine’s Person of the Year award.
3. Virginia Tech is one of the highest ranked universities as it pertains to alumni satisfaction. However, the annual giving rate, also known as the participation rate, is currently at 9%. This is the number of undergraduates who make an annual gift (regardless if it’s $5 or $100) every year. The university has embarked upon an initiative to reach 22% by 2022, Virginia Tech’s 150th anniversary.
4. Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente was named the 2016 Atlantic Coast Conference Coach of the Year. Fuente guided the Hokies to a 10-4 record, which included post-season play in the Dr. Pepper ACC Championship Game (their first appearance in the league title game since 2011) and Tech’s 24th consecutive bowl win at the Belk Bowl.
5. The two separately constructed parts of the facility that collectively house the Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech is now known as Steger Hall. The name honors Virginia Tech President Emeritus Charles W. Steger, one of the longest serving and most consequential presidential leaders in the history of Virginia Tech.